Lawsuits allege E.Coli caused food poisoning and hospitalization.
The mother of a teenager, who fell sick after eating food from a Taco Bell restaurant three months ago, filed a lawsuit Monday in New York, according to an Associated Press news report.
The lawsuit, filed in Manhattan’s State Supreme Court, alleges that the E.Coli bacteria in the food sickened 16-year-old James Robinson and caused him to be hospitalized. James’ mother Edwina Mooney says she brought home the food from Taco Bell on Nov. 18, 2006. The lawsuit states her son was the only family member to get sick from the food.
Mooney’s lawyer says James fell ill about four or five says after eating the food and was hospitalized with severe abdominal pain, dehydration and stomach flu.
According to the article, an official from the Nassau County Department of Health had told Mooney that her son had food poisoning caused by E.Coli. The lawsuit seeks unspecified monetary damages for her son’s injuries.
The Hempstead Taco Bell reportedly was one of the restaurants that closed after an E-Coli outbreak caused several cases of food poisoning across many states including New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. That Taco Bell has reopened.
Mooney’s lawsuit seeks unspecified money damages for her son’s injuries.
Robinson’s attorney said the Hempstead restaurant was one of the Taco Bells that closed after an E. coli outbreak caused scores of cases of food poisoning in several states, including New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania. It has reopened since.
Monday’s lawsuit is only one of several lawsuits that have already been filed against Taco Bell. Attorneys for an 11-year-old Long Island boy who became sick after eating at a Taco Bell in Riverhead filed a negligence suit against the restaurant chain in early December. A Pennsylvania man who became ill with an E.Coli infection after eating food from a Taco Bell restaurant sued the fast-food chain’s owner and a California scallions grower.
While a law student, a got food poisoning from a frozen pizza. From my toes up to the hair on my head, I was in agony. Every muscle in my body was in pain. I hurt in places I didn’t know I had. I was miserable. More than miserable. It was unbearable. Nasty substances flowed from every orifice. The acute portion lasted three full days. Recovery took another week. It was great for weight loss.
Food poisoning is not a pleasant experience. Legally, it is usually difficult to prove the source of food poisoning. Most cases of food poisoning are not economically worth pursuing through the litigation in other than small claims court.
Food poisoning cases with large medical expenses, significant lost income, serious on going medical issues, severe injuries or the loss of life need a serious evaluation by an experienced legal team to determine a victim’s options. At Bisnar|Chase we field questions from and consult with, food-borne illnesses sufferers on a regular basis.. If you have been a victim of a food-borne illness contact us for a free consultation.
There is also a lot of information available on the Orange County Health Care Agency’s Web site, about food-borne illnesses and food poisoning. That site also has an updated list of restaurant closures in Orange County. These restaurants have been closed because of unsanitary conditions.